Lord See My Tears

 

Scripture: Psalm 6:6-9 (NRSV)

6     I am weary with my moaning;

every night I flood my bed with tears;

I drench my couch with my weeping.

7     My eyes waste away because of grief;

they grow weak because of all my foes.

8     Depart from me, all you workers of evil,

for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.

9     The Lord has heard my supplication;

the Lord accepts my prayer.

 

Devotion:

           

            Psalm six is another psalm requesting the Lord’s help. This psalm, like several others, is called a penitential psalm. For me, the psalm has been of significant use in helping me in my frequent bouts of depression. It openly declares that no matter what trials and sorrows we may be going through, God is there to rescue us from the darkness and restore us to the light. The Lord hears and sees our sorrow and reacts with His steadfast love.

 

            No matter what our ailment might be the Lord always sees and hears our prayers for deliverance. He does not heal us right away or at all, but His concern for His children is constant. God defeated even the last enemy of our souls, death. Therefore, we can live in that knowledge knowing that no matter what our circumstances, no matter what the world may say to us or about us, God is in control of the condition of our lives.

 

            All of have had, are having, or will have some trial of sickness that leads us to question God’s goodness and mercy. There are times when every believer has doubts about God’s character. It is part of the human experience. Yet we can use the words of today’s psalm to reassure our hearts that God loves us and cares deeply about us. God hears, sees us, and knows us better than we know ourselves. He always responds with His steadfast love to our distress. Whether it feels like it or not.

 

            My mental illness may be with me as long as I am in this earthly body. However, God is also with me through it all. I lean on Him to care for me deeply, lovingly, and faithfully. Without God’s steadfast love, I would be lost and unable to function. My hope is that all who read these words will come to know the Lord. Not that I am some kind of super-Christian, but that Jesus is a Savior beyond compare. All glory to our blessed Savior.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter