Our Heavenly Citizenship


Scripture: Philippians 3:20 (ESV)

20 But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,

Devotion:

            I believe in America. However, as a Christian I am called to believe in Jesus above my country. My true and final citizenship, the place where I owe my last ounce of devotion is heaven. The people to whom this letter of Paul is addressed, the church at Philippi, were proud of their citizenship as well. They were full citizens of Rome with all the benefits that it had to offer. This portion of the letter would have been hard for them to hear. Perhaps even harder to obey.

            As we in the United States of America are proud of our citizenship. With all the rights and benefits that citizenship entails. We as Christians must seek to be true citizens of Heaven. Laying claim to all the benefits and rights that entails. We cannot claim the gift of eternal life with Jesus in heaven if we are not going to acknowledge the Lordship of Jesus over our lives here on earth.

            It is a struggle I will be the first to admit. I claim a family line that came to the colonies in 1649 Massachusetts. A pastor brought his whole church over to this new land to escape persecution in their homeland of England. My forefathers fought in the war of the revolution as well as every conflict the United States entered up to World War II. I have a debt of gratitude to my family that I can never fully repay. They paid the price for my freedom.

            My family left me an even deeper calling, however. Just as they fought for my freedom and rights as an American, they also realized they were citizens of heaven. They served the Prince of Peace with all of their hearts. Living and dying for the cause of Jesus. From my first American ancestors fleeing religious oppression in England, they served the church in any way possible. They instructed their children and their children’s children the importance of having a saving relationship with Jesus and a citizenship in heaven. They were faithful to their duties as citizens of Heaven.

            The people of the church at Philippi must have felt a similar struggle. On the one hand Roman citizenship offered immense benefits. Freedom to participate in Roman society and culture. For them having a heavenly citizenship required sacrificing some of those rights and freedoms for the cause of Christ. Such renouncing of Rome could put one’s very life in danger.

            It is no different here in America in the 21st century. Following Jesus, living as citizens of heaven may cost us more than we know. The America I live in today is losing the very freedoms that motivated my first ancestors to make that dangerous trip to an unknown land 373 years ago. They were seeking a place where they could practice living out their duties to heaven. Let us pray that we will be faithful to our heavenly calling. May we be faithful citizens of heaven.

Prayer:

            Lord thank you for men and women who came before us who were faithful to your kingdom. Let us be as faithful in our duties as kingdom people as they were. Lead us in the ways of your Son our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter