Depend on the Lord

 


Proverbs 3:5-6 (ESV)

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,

and do not lean on your own understanding.

    In all your ways acknowledge him,

and he will make straight your paths.

 

Devotion:

           

            One of the problems with society today is that we lean on our own human understanding. The problem with this way of life is that human ways often cause unintended consequences (mostly bad). We seem to be able to drive our proverbial car into any number of ditches. Our hearts left to themselves will make any number of poor choices. Solomon who wrote these words must have been a keen observer of the human bent toward self-destruction. Just look at the problems that we, as humans, have brought upon ourselves. From war, inflation, addictions of every kind imaginable.

 

            The answer to our sinful ways is right there in this scripture. How simple it sounds. Just lean on the Lord, acknowledge God as the Lord of everything and God will straighten this crooked old world out. Problem solved. The trouble that we have with doing this is the sin that lives deep within us. This sin pushes against our desire to follow Christ. As the Apostle Paul writes in Romans chapter 7:15-20 (ESV)

15 For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. 17 So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

 

            Here we see the human condition is born to choose to follow the desires of the flesh. However, God has provided a way for us to escape this body of death. Paul writes “Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

8 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” God through Jesus provided an escape hatch for us from a life of sin and ultimately death from sin. Praise be to God that we have the ability to trust in the Lord with our whole hearts and trust in the wisdom and understanding that comes from rightly applying the scriptures. Let us pray for God’s provision for our lives.

Prayer:

            Lord draw us closer to you that we may be able to put our trust in you. May we trust you with every aspect of our lives. Let us follow you where ever you may lead us in the days ahead. Relying on your grace and saving power to pull us through tough times. Lead us as a shepherd leads his flock. Keeping us safe from all dangers, and snares of the devil. All glory, laud, and honor be to your holy name. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter