What in the World is Happening?

 


Scripture: John 15:18-25 (NIV)

18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. 20 Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. 21 They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me. 22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23 Whoever hates me hates my Father as well. 24 If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. 25 But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.

Devotion:

            Today’s scripture may seem irrelevant to believers in America. The American people for the most part tolerates us as Christians. If we do not try to push our religion on the world, the world will suffer to let those backwards superstitious people live in peace. The world is even willing to put up with some slight inconveniences to accommodate the religious among them. A Christian can usually go along to get along as the saying goes, and not have to worry about being accosted for their faith. Well, that is slowly changing. The world wants less and less to do with us as time progresses.

            Even way out here in rural northern Illinois a low-key battle is being fought by Christians who want to practice their faith openly and publicly. A speaker who wished to come to our apartment complex and conduct a Bible Study was verbally condemned. He was later accosted by a man wielding a cane. There was no motivation for the attacks except anti-Christian beliefs.

            Do not worry though. The Christians asked me if I would lead their Bible Study and I agreed. I will no doubt face the same hassles that my predecessor went through. God will lead me on. I am more concerned with presenting the message of scripture accurately than I am with what others may do or say about me. The Lord will lead me on.

            This situation, however, should serve as a warning to others who wish to be vocal and active with their faith. Times they are a changing. It may no longer be safe to witness for your faith in the public square. But God will give us strength to stand up for the Savior who died on a cross to save us. Let us live as lights in a darkening room. The darkness will not overcome the light. We have our Savior’s word on that (John 1:5) So go shine brightly my friends. The Lord will be with you always.

Prayer:

            Lord, hear our heartfelt plea for safety for all those involved in gospel work. May we be free to make and teach disciples openly in this country. Help us to restore respect and honor to your Holy Name in our land. Open our lips Lord that our voices may declare your praise wherever we go. Add your blessing to our work for you and your kingdom. Teach us to teach others the wonderful truths found in your world. And may your kingdom come, and your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter