The Lord is My Strength


Scripture: Psalm 28:1-2, 6-9  (NIV)

To you, Lord, I call;

you are my Rock,

do not turn a deaf ear to me.

For if you remain silent,

I will be like those who go down to the pit.

Hear my cry for mercy

as I call to you for help,

as I lift up my hands

toward your Most Holy Place. . .

Praise be to the Lord,

for he has heard my cry for mercy.

The Lord is my strength and my shield;

my heart trusts in him, and he helps me.

My heart leaps for joy

and with my song I praise him.

The Lord is the strength of his people,

a fortress of salvation for his anointed one.

Save your people and bless your inheritance;

be their shepherd and carry them forever.

 

Devotion:

           

            This psalm again expresses a common theme throughout the book of Psalms. One of pleading with God for rescue from some danger or enemy. Like all of these psalms the Lord delivers people from danger in the end and there is great rejoicing. This psalm even expresses a community wide thankfulness for deliverance not just for the individual writer but for the community. (vss. 8,9)

 

            The Psalm begins with the typical call to the Lord. As if the psalmist thinks he needs God’s special attention. The writer sees only trouble ahead if he does not get the Lord’s attention. The psalmist anticipates an eternity in a pit without the Lord’s strong and immediate help. While we do not know the occasion that prompted the writing of this psalm, the writer obviously expresses deep distress and discouragement.

 

            The psalmist rejoices when he realizes that his petition to God for deliverance has been heard by God and is being answered positively. David expresses his deep love for the Lord and His faithfulness for the grace and mercy shown to David. There is no doubt in David’s mind that all the good he has experienced comes from God. And David is overjoyed because of this.

 

            In the final two verses the psalmist moves into a prayer of thanksgiving for the people. Recognizing that the Lord has been good not only to him alone but to all his people. Using the image of a shepherd leading his flock forward. David praises God for everything He has done for his people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter