Hear My Cry, O Lord


Psalm 17:1-5. 15 (NIV)

Hear me, Lord, my plea is just;

listen to my cry.

Hear my prayer—

it does not rise from deceitful lips.

Let my vindication come from you;

may your eyes see what is right.

Though you probe my heart,

though you examine me at night and test me,

you will find that I have planned no evil;

my mouth has not transgressed.

Though people tried to bribe me,

I have kept myself from the ways of the violent

through what your lips have commanded.

My steps have held to your paths;

my feet have not stumbled. …

15 As for me, I will be vindicated and will see your face;

when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness.

 

Devotion:

 

            Psalm seventeen is a cry for help from God against the psalmist’s enemies. It proclaims that the writer has kept to God’s ways even in the face of enemy taunts and oppression. The verses omitted from the reading above deal with the specific actions of the psalmist’s opponents. Through it all the writer maintains his innocence. Proclaiming that he is the apple of the Lord’s eye. Some commentators suggest that verse fifteen can be construed to mean that the psalmist spent the night in the temple, though this is not clear.

 

            In verses one and two, the writer declares his innocence. The psalmist prays that the Lord will hear his prayer and know that it comes from a pure heart and lips that speak the truth and not lies. Our author knows that the Lord cannot be fooled but sees the condition of the heart and judges rightly.

 

            The psalmist then asks God to examine him. He knows that God will vindicate him and declare him free from deception and evil doing. Verses three through five make this claim clear. The writer has accepted no bribe nor dealt violently with his neighbor. He has followed the path of righteousness and truth telling.

 

            The final words of this psalm declare the writer’s trust that he will be ultimately proven right about all he has declared in this prayer. He will rest secure in the knowledge that the Lord judges justly and will make His righteousness known among all the people. The psalmist sleeps securely knowing that in the end he will be vindicated by the Lord.

 

Prayer:

            Lord, may we, like the writer of this psalm, be able to trust in you fully and completely. Help us to know that You are truly for us and not against us. Lord, keep us unstained by the world. May you be glorified through our lives as we hope in you. Teach us to follow the path you have laid out for us. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter