Declare Me Innocent, Lord

 Psalm 26:1-8 (NLT)

Declare me innocent, O Lord,

for I have acted with integrity;

I have trusted in the Lord without wavering.

Put me on trial, Lord, and cross-examine me.

Test my motives and my heart.

For I am always aware of your unfailing love,

and I have lived according to your truth.

I do not spend time with liars

or go along with hypocrites.

I hate the gatherings of those who do evil,

and I refuse to join in with the wicked.

I wash my hands to declare my innocence.

I come to your altar, O Lord,

singing a song of thanksgiving

and telling of all your wonders.

I love your sanctuary, Lord,

the place where your glorious presence dwells.

 

Devotion

 

            Today’s psalm starts out a lot like Psalm 1. The psalmist declares that he has no part with sinners of any kind. However, the writer of this psalm goes into much greater detail about the kinds of sinners he wishes to avoid. He begins by asking the Lord to put him on trial so that the charges against him can be proven false in the heavenly court. The only court where the true intentions of the heart and mind are fully exposed and judged with righteousness.

            The psalmist declares that he is certain that the Lord will show forth his unfailing love, (the psalmist's favorite word for God’s love is used here in the Hebrew: hesed.) Hesed love from God cannot be translated well into English, but ‘unfailing love, or steadfast love” come close. The writer here is convinced that God will shed that hesed love on us no matter what the trial, just or unjust is happening in our lives today.

            The psalmist, David, tells God how he avoids hanging around sketchy people. We may be tempted to object that Jesus hung around with tax collectors, prostitutes, and other less than reputable people so why shouldn’t David. For starters David was not Jesus. We know that David committed adultery, murder, and could have quite a temper. The Lord kept David safe from some sins he would have otherwise been drawn to if he hung around with a different crowd. It is like the subject of drinking alcohol; I can be in a room full of people who are imbibing and not feel the slightest urge to grab a drink. However, bring an alcoholic into that same room and that person’s sobriety is in peril.

            Finally, I love the image of David worshiping in the temple. Singing, testifying, and enjoying the fellowship of other worshippers. I too love to go into God’s church, singing, testifying, and praising God with all my being. Humble and thankful to be gathered with the Lord and his people gives me great joy and energizes me for the week ahead. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter