Living for the Good Shepherd


Scripture: Psalm 23:1-6 (NIV)

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.

2      He makes me lie down in green pastures,

he leads me beside quiet waters,

3      he refreshes my soul.

He guides me along the right paths

for his name’s sake.

Even though I walk

through the darkest valley,

I will fear no evil,

for you are with me;

your rod and your staff,

they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me

in the presence of my enemies.

You anoint my head with oil;

my cup overflows.

Surely your goodness and love will follow me

all the days of my life,

and I will dwell in the house of the Lord

forever.

 

            Psalm 23 is the best known and most loved psalm in the Bible. People through the ages have sought comfort from these words, and rightly so. Unfortunately, we usually only hear the psalm read at funerals or in hours of deep physical need. Perhaps today we can take another look at this classic piece of scripture through a new lens. A lens of life lived in quiet submission to the great Shepherd of our souls. Maybe we can discern a way to live a life of loving relationship with our God in between times of sickness, suffering, and loss.

 

            To be honest the genesis of these thoughts comes from my thesis advisor at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, Dr. Jerome Creach. While the use of this psalm for encouragement and comfort in time of need is fully supported. But since the poetry of the writer is so deep, we should feel at home seeking to find even deeper meanings in these six short verses.

 

            Verse 1 starts off in the familiar way. However, we can expand on the thought that comes frequently to mind that this refers only to God’s provision for us in death. It carries with it the very present meaning that we will lack nothing in life as well. While all people suffer want for material goods at some point in their life, God provides what is truly needed to those who commit to follow His ways.

 

            Our God not only provides safety and comfort in death, but he also walks with us as our Shepherd all during our lives. In verses 2 through 4 we see this played out. God being our shepherd provides rest and provision all during our life. With God as our protector, we need not be afraid of anything man or devil can do to us. Though we will get sick, injured, or suffer from mental illness that cause us darkness and pain for a time we are assured of deliverance by the hand of the great shepherd.

 

            In the last two verses of the psalm the language changes. No longer are we taken care of by a shepherd, but rather by a sweet friend. One who keeps us safe in life’s trials and causes us to be at ease even in the presence of our enemies. The psalmist guarantees a full life. One that will make death so much sweeter when we reach the end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter