That I May Dwell in His House

 

Scripture: Psalm 27:4-6 (NLT)

The one thing I ask of the Lord

the thing I seek most—

is to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,

delighting in the Lord’s perfections

and meditating in his Temple.

For he will conceal me there when troubles come;

he will hide me in his sanctuary.

He will place me out of reach on a high rock.

Then I will hold my head high

above my enemies who surround me.

At his sanctuary I will offer sacrifices with shouts of joy,

singing and praising the Lord with music.

 

Devotion:

 

            Psalm 27 is a psalm of delight in the Lord and rejoicing in His presence. The writer of the psalm says that there is protection and safety for those who dwell in the Lord’s presence. The Lord is seen as one who will hide us when He sees trouble coming our way.

 

            This is why David desires more than anything else to go to, and remain in, the house of the Lord. Because the Lord is perfection no evil or harm can come to those who live under his protection. David proclaims that he will offer sacrifices of praise and singing. David is known throughout scripture as being exuberant and filled with the spirit when he worshipped. Many modern churches could learn a lesson from David.

 

            David knew what many of us have forgotten. The Lord is the creator, redeemer, and sustainer of the entire universe. Yet this all-powerful God loves this little blue speck in an out of the way corner of an insignificant galaxy and says this is mine. I created it and I love it and I will always seek to bless them even when they forget me and wander after foreign Gods. We as humans have no reason to fear. This mighty God will protect us. In Psalm 27 David closes with these encouraging words. (Psalm 27:13-14 NLT)

 

      13 Yet I am confident I will see the Lord’s goodness

while I am here in the land of the living.

14 Wait patiently for the Lord.

Be brave and courageous.

Yes, wait patiently for the Lord

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter