The Lord is My Shepherd


Scripture: Psalm 23 (NRSV)

1      The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2          He makes me lie down in green pastures;

he leads me beside still waters;

3          he restores my soul.

He leads me in right paths

for his name’s sake.

4      Even though I walk through the darkest valley

I fear no evil;

for you are with me;

your rod and your staff—

they comfort me.

5      You prepare a table before me

in the presence of my enemies;

you anoint my head with oil;

my cup overflows.

6      Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me

all the days of my life,

and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord

my whole life long.

 

Devotion:       

            Today we look at Psalm 23. Rather than just try to comment on a section of the Psalm I have chosen to look at the Psalm as a whole since it is rather short, only six verses, and breaking it up does unnecessary violence to the psalmists' thoughts here.     

            The Psalmist. David introduces us to his God. The name for God he uses here and at the end of the Psalm is the Hebrew is YHWH affirming for the reader that God is the true leader, guider, and director of the David’s life. The Lord provides for all needs of his people.

            The valley of darkness is full of light if God is your guide. There is no fear of death or loss if the Lord leads us. Evil in all its manifold forms will not be able to scare us or make us afraid for the future. Because God is the God of the future as well as the past and the present. We can take comfort knowing that even the rod of correction is applied for our well-being.

            The last stanza of the Psalm is key to understanding this brief Psalm. Even when our enemies surround us the Lord will provide for all our needs. Goodness and mercy shall be our constant companion. The word translated mercy here is in Hebrew ‘hesed.’ This word is deeper than the English words used to translate it. Loving kindness probably is as close as we can get. The verb translated follow in this section is better translated pursue. The Lord pursues David and by extension us as long as we live and beyond.

Prayer:

            O God use this familiar Psalm in new ways in our lives today. We often think of it only surrounding the death of a loved one. It, however, is useful to us on this side of the grave as well. Help us Lord to use this Psalm to bring life and assurance of your unfailing love for us in the land of the living. May we be attentive to you O Lord knowing that in life and death you will provide all we will ever need. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter