Are You a Martha or a Mary?

 

Are You a Martha or a Mary?

Scripture: Luke 10:38-42 (ESV)

38 Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to his teaching. 40 But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” 41 But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, 42 but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”

Devotion:

            Today’s scripture is a familiar one to many people. Everybody likes to think that they are more like Mary than they are like Martha. At least I always thought I was definitely a Mary not a Martha. But I recently came across a new way (to me anyway) of reading this familiar story that I want to share with you now. It changed my way of thinking and now I know I am far more Martha than Mary.

            This way of reading asks the question; how do we relate to Jesus? Am I like Mary sitting peacefully at the feet of my savior hanging on every word he says to me, or am I like Martha telling Jesus what he should do for me? Thinking honestly about this question changed my future way of relating to the Savoir of my soul.

            I have always been more of Martha than I recognized. I prided myself on my abilities to get things done on time or if possible, ahead of time and done well. I was like that in my parenting, my working, and in my service to the church. I was counseled by a wise spiritual director many years ago that I was in danger of becoming a human-doing instead of a human-being. I changed some at the time but eventually went back to my usual way of handling things. Priding myself on my accomplishments instead of enjoying my relationship with my Lord.

            I have often badgered the Lord about what he needed to do in my life. I am now learning to slow down and allow the Lord to speak to me through his word and in my spirit. Learning to be with my Savior not attempting to get him to serve me by satisfying my every desire. It is beginning to affect my soul. This will be a new journey for me, and I am looking forward to being and becoming more like Mary as the Lord allows me to progress.

Prayer:

            Lord slow us down. Let us live in the present moment with you. Help us to enjoy being in your presence. Keep us Lord from always having the need to be doing something to try and please you and let us know that you love us just for being who you made us to be. Teach us to want to listen to what you are saying to us. Help us to do only what is needful in the present moment. Forgive us for multitasking knowing that you will help us to do all things that need doing. We ask this in the name of our savior, Jesus Christ. Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter