God’s Comfort
Scripture: Psalm
23:4
Even though I walk
through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod
and your staff, they comfort me.
Devotion:
This verse meets
us in the places we would rather avoid—the valleys, the shadows, the moments
when fear feels close enough to touch. David does not pretend the valley isn’t
real; he refuses to walk it alone. “Even though I walk through the valley of
the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me.” God’s comfort
is not theoretical. It is His steady presence, His guiding hand, His rod and
staff assuring us that darkness does not have the final word. In every valley,
God draws near.
We must all
acknowledge the reality of the dark valley spoken of in this verse. Every one
of us has lived with disappointment, sickness, and even the death of someone
close to us. Anxiety and fear are all around us as we walk through life. I
recently had a health scare, and it turned out to be nothing serious. I still
experienced fear, but I confessed my fears, and God walked with me through the
dark time.
Sometimes our
worst fears do happen. In those times, we must claim the promise of this verse
and live through the trial knowing that God is with us even if we can’t see
Him. Knowing that He is near should console us and help us to struggle on,
keeping God’s promise of companionship in our hearts. These words should help
us to face our dark valleys with courage. We can be steadied by the promise of
God given in this verse.
However, valleys
are passages, not destinations. We must trust in God’s timing and direction to
help navigate our way through and out of these valleys. The rod and staff of
God protect us as we walk through the valley to our destination. A shepherd
uses the rod as protection and the staff as a guide for the sheep. In the same
way, God protects and guides us as we walk through valleys; it is never God’s
intention for us to remain in a valley permanently.
Prayer
Lord, help us to join
you in walking through the valleys with one another. May we be agents of your
love and care for those who are suffering. Keep us from despair and anger. Help
us always to seek your faithful presence in our lives, whether we are walking
through the valley ourselves or accompanying someone else. May our lives always
reflect the steadfast love of God to the glory of the name of Jesus. Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment