Training for the Race


Scripture: 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (NIV)

24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Devotion:

            Running a race is hard work. Back when I was a freshman in high school, I signed up for the cross country team. It thought it would be more fun than football and less chance of injury too. Actually, running the races was pretty fun. The training was hard. Running five miles or more  for five days a week is really hard work. Even though the rewards were excellent I hated training, but I did it anyway because I knew that it was the only way to compete in the races.

            Paul, in today’s scripture reading likens training to be a Christian to training to run in the athletic games. I am afraid in today’s church we may have given up on training to run the race of life as Christians. What kind of training for the race of life did Paul have in mind here? How does one train to be a victorious Christian?

            There have been many who have written on race of life as a Christian. They have given their suggestions. One of my favorite books that seeks to outline the measures a Christian can take to be ready for the race of life is Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster. I reread this book every year or two just to refresh my memory of what the disciplines are.

            Foster lists the disciplines in three categories: 1. The Inward disciplines. 2. The Outward disciplines, 3. The Corporate disciplines. Many of the disciplines we do or try to do every day. For example, prayer, I would wager anyone reading this piece at least attempts prayer regularly. Other disciplines, such as submission we do not attempt as often.

            While we do not know exactly what kind of training Paul was speaking of here. We can from the history of the church glean some clues. Meditation, prayer, fasting, solitude, worship were certainly on the Apostle’s mind here. Let us seek to be faithful and well trained Christians. The times we are living in demand no less. Gone are the days when Christianity was seen as virtuous. We now must be prepared to run the race of life seeking to make the gospel heard in all the places that we go.

Prayer:

            Lord strengthen us to run the race of life by disciplined training. May we be diligent in the spiritual practices found in scripture. Show us where our training could use a little more intensity and diligence. Lead us over the race course you have set for each of us. Send your Holy Spirit to help us to run the race without tiring. May our running bring you glory. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter