Doing What I Do Not Want


Scripture; Romans 7:21-25 (ESV)

21 So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. 22 For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, 23 but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

Devotion:

            Today’s scripture finds the Apostle Paul lamenting over the effects of sin in his life. Paul’s sentiments are easily understood by Christians living today. Its truths are timeless. Who among the readers of this devotion has not at some time in their life come across a situation where they knew what God would want them to do but went ahead and disobeyed God’s word anyway? It is a common and chronic condition among us believers. We all can relate to this. Jesus, of course, fully obeyed God’s word, but if God’s word is to be trusted, even he experienced the temptation to act against God’s revealed word, however, he never sinned.

            Here, I share a story from my own life. Some years ago, I was at my spiritual director's hermitage. I was sitting by the pool on her property when I read a sign on the fence surrounding the pool that read NO RUNNING ON THE POOL DECK. Immediately, I had a sudden urge to run on the pool deck. Then, below it, written in large letters again, WALKING ON WATER PERMITTED. I knew right away I was confronted with a Roman’s 7 problem. I lack Peter's faith to step out on the water. What is the solution to my dilemma and yours? How can we possibly ever do what is right and true?

            Paul gives us the only solution. Jesus. Through the finished work of Jesus on the cross, we have access to God’s unlimited grace. Our minds and our flesh will always be at war, but by trusting in Jesus, we can have peace that passes understanding. Christ, by His death and resurrection, can help us to overcome our ingrained sin problem. By trusting in Him, we can have access to the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives so that we can live as obedient children of our Father in heaven. Let us join Paul in his hymn of praise that we find in verse 26.

Prayer:

            Lord, we give you thanks and praise that we can have victory over the faults and failures of our flesh. Help us seek you when we are tempted to sin. May we seek your help to overcome the sin that abides in our flesh. Encourage us when we fail to do what is right with the assurance that we will be forgiven when we repent and return to you. May your Holy Name be glorified and honored because of our faithful devotion to Jesus. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter