Turn From Mourning Into Dancing


Scripture: Psalm 30:1-5, 1-12 (NIV)

I will exalt you, Lord,

for you lifted me out of the depths

and did not let my enemies gloat over me.

Lord my God, I called to you for help,

and you healed me.

You, Lord, brought me up from the realm of the dead;

you spared me from going down to the pit.

Sing the praises of the Lord, you his faithful people;

praise his holy name.

For his anger lasts only a moment,

but his favor lasts a lifetime;

weeping may stay for the night,

but rejoicing comes in the morning. . .

11 You turned my wailing into dancing;

you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,

12 that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent.

Lord my God, I will praise you forever.

 

Devotion:

 

            Psalm 30 is a psalm that reflects the healing of not only an individual but also a community. The psalmist begins the psalm in a pit. He does not know what else to do besides call our to the Lord for help. Clearly, he is in over his head here. As he states he felt like he was at death’s door. David here gives is an example of how to live life when we are under attack from physical weakness and or spiritual need. David speaks clearly of a God who is able and willing to save those who throw their trust entirely upon him.

 

            The psalmist then turns his attention to what our human response must be to this show of divine favor. David points out that many a day we go to bed weeping, not sure of what the next day will bring. When we awake in the morning, we find ten thousand delights. The Lord surely gets angry at our sins, but he quickly forgives and pours out his blessing upon us. So, what else can the people of God do but lift our voices in song and loud praises to God our king.

 

            The third stanza of this psalm we examine today is simply an overflowing hymn of praise. Perhaps these verses are best known for verse 11. In other versions is says, “you have turned my mourning into dancing.” A great victory has been one over the evils of sin and death through God’s deliverance. David is unable to keep himself quiet regarding all the good things that God has done for him, and for the people. David even changes his dress from sackcloth and ashes to robes of joy. The celebration will continue from now until God comes again in his eternity to complete the celebration.

 

            This psalm is one of challenge for the people of God. Ready to be aware of the dangers and calamities that may befall us in the world. Yet always believing that God’s rescue is only a moment away. The one who will trust in the Lord will never experience any lasting problems because God has revealed himself to be a God of the past, present, and the future. We can hope in that great love. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter