Countryside Sermon

John 3:16-21

16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. 19And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. 20 For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. 21 But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God.” [1]
            These words are perhaps the most recognized Bible passage of all time and certainly our time. I have them posted by the door to my apartment so I can see them and be reminded of their truth every time I go in or out of my apartment. But from the state the world is in one would hardly know they existed. I always ask myself why these great words are so often quoted, but so little practiced in real life. Let us tonight listen closely to God’s word for us from this scripture.
          “For God so loved the world” why is it that there is so much evil in a world that God claims to love? We have mass murders of people at worship services, fires burning out of control in California. Weather events that seem to be getting more and more intense (4 inches of snow on Halloween I mean really). Where is God’s love? God’s love is right where it always is and has always been, we just need to access it and show others how to do the same. The answer is in the remainder of the verse. “that he gave his only Son that whoever believes is him should not perish but have eternal life.” God knows that man fell into sin way back in the garden of Eden, but it was not a surprise to God that we fell into sin. Just look at John chapter 1 verse 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made.[2] And then we read “ 14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.[3]” You see in these verses that long before the creation of the world God had his Son in mind. God created the world through his Son and then at the right time sent the Son in human flesh to come and make a way out of sin for us.
          God could have sent Jesus to wipe the human race off the map. The folks back in the first century were pretty sinful in their own ways. We have more ways to sin than they even dreamed possible. Yet God provided a way out of sin for you and me because he loved us and indeed the whole world so much.
          You may ask me, preacher, how do you know so much about God’s love what proof do you have that God loves you and the world. Well let me just relate to you a portion of my testimony to God’s love. I was brought up at First Presbyterian Church here in Rochelle. Went to Sunday School and Youth Group got confirmed everything a respectable church going family’s kid was supposed to do-I did. But then something happened. I went to college. No more rules or restraints no youth group or church attendance mandatory. I got involved with drinking, smoking pot, and premarital sex. Then one Wednesday night at a prayer meeting that my friend Rob Whipple had invited me to the message from Jonah pulled at my heart strings and I came forward and received Jesus Christ as my savior. I wish I could say that I was miraculously delivered from all my sins that day, but it didn’t happen that way for me. Jesus kept after me though. Eventually pulling me into Campus Students for Christ and leading me to a clean and sober life. But all that mattered was my honest confession of Christ as Savior. It was God’s grace plus nothing that saved me. My heart was open to God’s love so He could work to make changes in my life. And eventually called me into His ministry
          My friends I do not know who among you needs to hear this tonight, but God loves you very deeply and wants you to trust him right now. You may say “I have messed up my life something terrible I can’t believe that God would ever love me.” Trust the words of scripture Jesus came that you might be loved and forgiven. You may object saying “God doesn’t want me I can’t do anything good with my life.” You don’t have to do anything to prove your love for Him tonight or ever just make an honest confession of your need for a savior and Jesus takes care of the rest. Or I should say Jesus took care of the rest when he hung and died on that cruel cross. Our salvation is in the finished work of Jesus.
All we need to do is to trust in Jesus and nothing else. Your faith in Christ will save you. Whether he takes away your sin all at once if so, praise the Lord, but if it seems like nothing changes and that’s ok too. Just keep trusting Jesus and salvation is yours.
If you decide to follow Jesus what should you do to help you trust in him daily. I would suggest the following: 1. Obtain a copy of God’s word there are a ton of good, easy to read translations out there. If you need help finding one see me and I will get you set up with one. 2. Use that Bible read it everyday as much as you can. 3. Find other Christians you can meet with. Go to a Bible Believing church if it is possible for you to get out. 5. Pray as much as you can. It is one of the things I like most about Countryside is that my apartment is a quiet place where I can devote as much time as I can in prayer and study of the word.
And remember the Christian faith is simply a matter of trusting in Jesus no matter what life throws at you. God loves you and wants you to love him too.


[1] The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Jn 3:16–21.
[2] The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Jn 1:1–3.
[3] The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Jn 1:14.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter