First Steps in Peacemaking


Scripture: Ephesians 2:1–10 (NRSV)
2 You were dead through the trespasses and sins in which you once lived, following the course of this world, following the ruler of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work among those who are disobedient. All of us once lived among them in the passions of our flesh, following the desires of flesh and senses, and we were by nature children of wrath, like everyone else. But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God— not the result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life.

Meditation:
            By grace you have been saved. The longer I try to live as a Christ follower the more I see people trying to earn their salvation. I have even met folks who claim that they have been saved by their own efforts. I have even fallen into this trap of the devil. Not realizing the size of the log that was in my own eyes I have tried to help folks take the speck out of their neighbor’s eyes that never ends too well for either of us.
            Of course I could claim that I am not as bad off as I was when I tried to live according to this world’s ways. I too have followed the passions of my flesh and the desires of my body. But God who is truly rich in mercy followed me even down these self destructive roads and when I finally had my prodigal moment and came to my senses, God was right there with open arms, clean clothes, and the assurance that God still wanted to be my Abba.
            Making peace with God is always the first step to making peace with your neighbors. Sometimes even the ones who you have made half blind by your fumbling attempts at “helping” them by log hampered eye surgery will forgive you. Others will hopefully see the repentance and decide that you’re not perfect yet, but you seem to be on the right track.
            God has created us to do good works. But in order to do these good works we need clear vision created by confession, repentance, and the restorative love of God through Jesus Christ. Once you start down this path you can help restore peace and justice to our world. But neglecting the preparation that is required we will only continue to blind, wound, and cause fighting not peace.

Prayer:
Lord, deliver us from logs in the eyes; cleanse our eyes, mind, and everywhere else. Teach us to prepare ourselves each day to walk with clear sight, peaceful demeanor, and loving kindness. Help in this way to do the good works that we have been created to do ahead of time in Christ Jesus. May we be bringers of peace and leavers of justice wherever we walk in your world. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter