The Good Shepherd


We begin tonight by looking at how Jesus was a shepherd for his followers. When Jesus called the first of his disciples, they were fishermen who had been out on the sea of Galilee fishing he invited them to come and follow him. And they gave up fishing and followed Jesus. He found some of his disciples with John the Baptist he likewise asked them to come and follow him. He found another at a tax collection booth of all places, but he invites Matthew to follow him and Matthew gives up his occupation as a tax collector and invites Jesus to his house for dinner and Jesus accepts.
This eating with tax collectors and “sinners” gets Jesus in a lot of trouble with the religious establishment. We read in lk15:3-7
So Jesus told them this parable: 4 “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost. Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.[1]
          One tax collector or sinner at a time Jesus collects his band of followers. He was their shepherd and they followed him wherever he went. Out of all the people following Jesus around, Jesus chose 12 to be apostles. The apostles were commissioned by Jesus to go out and heal diseases, cast out demons and preach the good news that the Kingdom of Heaven was at hand. Jesus continued to shepherd those who followed him. He taught them many parables and demonstrated unconditional love as he healed the sick and even raised the dead. Yet the apostles still strayed and neglected to follow their shepherd from time to time. They had the wrong idea about Jesus and the kind of kingdom he was bringing into the world.
          They argued about who would be the greatest in the kingdom. Jesus reminded them that being the servant of all was the key to success in his kingdom. He led them into conflicts with the religious authorities declaring that he was the way the truth and the life and that there was no way to heaven except through him.
          He continued to lead them caring for each one the father had given him. Helping them to understand that it was servant leadership that he required to be a leader on his team. Jesus never gave up on his 12 apostles. He continued to coach them into a team that could deliver the gospel wherever they went. Jesus instituted the Lord’s supper and taught them about what would happen during his passion. He led them out to a garden to pray. He was eventually arrested there in the garden,
The twelve were scattered when Jesus was arrested by the authorities however only one of the twelve got permanently lost. Judas Iscariot, and that was in order to fulfil scripture. The apostles continued to meet together in the upper room for fear of the authorities. Until Pentecost came and they were filled with the Holy Spirit. This led the apostles to declare God’s kingdom. But the rest of the disciples were faithful and followed Jesus to their own deaths. But they remained faithful and spread the good news wherever they went.
          I am sure that we could all tell stories of how God has been a shepherd to us in our own lives. I would like to tell you a couple of stories about how Jesus has been a good shepherd to me over the years.
          The first happened when I was around nineteen. I had briefly gotten started using marijuana. I was attending Kishwaukee Community College. I met a girl there who invited me over to her apartment in Dekalb to smoke some with her. So, I followed her in my car. When we got there, we smoked a few joints and she went to sleep. I was high but I wasn’t the least bit sleepy, so I left.
          I left her there and drove as far as Kishwaukee College. I stopped there because I could tell I wasn’t driving too well. I didn’t know what to do so I used a pay phone to call one of my friends. He agreed to come get me provided I went to Wednesday night Bible Study/Prayer meeting with him that night. I agreed. So, he picked me up and we went to church.
          At church we sang some hymns. And then the Pastor presented the Bible study it was on Jonah. The good shepherd convicted me, and I went forward and rededicated my life to Christ that night. God was my shepherd as he brought me back to God that night. I haven’t used marijuana since that night. Somehow, I also became sober, so my friend drove me back to Kishwaukee to pick up my car and I drove safely home. I never did tell mom and dad what happened that day.
          The second incident occurred just a few years later. While I was attending Western Illinois University. I was driving home on Illinois 67 out in the middle of nowhere. All of a sudden, my car started acting funny. I prayed that I would be able to make it home. But that was not God’s plan for that Friday morning. My car eventually stopped dead. As God had ordained it in front of an old farmhouse. So, I got out of my car to see if I could use the phone and see if there was a tow truck service I could use. When I got to the door, I saw an older lady sitting in the living room with a Bible open on her lap. I told her my story. She said she would see that I got help. She picked up the phone and called a mechanic she knew.
          In about 15 minutes a man arrived. He started my car and drove it up the lady’s driveway it acted up on him as well. He told me that the fuel line filter was clogged up. He said he just happened to grab one that was for my car on the way out of his shop. So, in about 15 to 30 minutes he had it fixed. He wouldn’t take any money and said the lady who called told him to put it on her account. She wouldn’t take any money either. I got in my car and sure enough I made it home with no trouble. I did tell mom and dad about this one and dad said I had really gotten lucky. I seldom corrected my dad, but I said that I had not gotten lucky. I had just had a God sighting.
          There are many more stories I could tell because Jesus has been my Shepherd for as long as I can remember. I am grateful that Pastor Doug has allowed to share this with you this evening, God is the good shepherd who watches out for his sheep when they have gone astray and when they are just without hope. 1           The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2        He makes me lie down in green pastures.
he leads me beside still waters;
3        he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths
for his name’s sake.
4     Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I fear no evil;
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff—
they comfort me.
5     You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6     Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
my whole life long.[2]


[1] The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Lk 15:3–7.
[2] The Holy Bible: New Revised Standard Version (Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1989), Ps 23:1–6.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter