Philemon 8-22


Scripture Philemon 8-22

Accordingly, though I am bold enough in Christ to command you to do what is required, yet for love’s sake I prefer to appeal to you—I, Paul, an old man and now a prisoner also for Christ Jesus— 10 I appeal to you for my child, Onesimus, whose father I became in my imprisonment. 11 (Formerly he was useless to you, but now he is indeed useful to you and to me.) 12 I am sending him back to you, sending my very heart. 13 I would have been glad to keep him with me, in order that he might serve me on your behalf during my imprisonment for the gospel, 14 but I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own accord. 15 For this perhaps is why he was parted from you for a while, that you might have him back forever, 16 no longer as a bondservant but more than a bondservant, as a beloved brother—especially to me, but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord.

17 So if you consider me your partner, receive him as you would receive me. 18 If he has wronged you at all, or owes you anything, charge that to my account. 19 I, Paul, write this with my own hand: I will repay it—to say nothing of your owing me even your own self. 20 Yes, brother, I want some benefit from you in the Lord. Refresh my heart in Christ.

21 Confident of your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say. 22 At the same time, prepare a guest room for me, for I am hoping that through your prayers I will be graciously given to you. [1]



Devotion

            Paul begins by asserting his right as an apostle to order Philemon to do as Paul wishes, but he prefers to appeal to Philemon as an equal. “He did not refer to Philemon’s love for Paul but to his love of God and God’s people. Paul appealed to agape love, that force and power from God which sets aside personal rights and safeguards, acting instead for Christ’s glory and the welfare of others.” [2] Since Onesimus had run away and somehow found Paul. He had become a Christian. Serving Paul in prison. Since in Roman prisons they did not provide prisoners with food or drink having a faithful servant or family to provide for one’s needs was essential.

            Paul urges Philemon to accept Onesimus as a brother not just a slave. Onesimus may have stolen some money or property from Philemon. Paul requests that if Philemon has suffered any loss that he would charge it to Paul’s account. He fully expects Philemon to accept Onesimus back since Philemon owed Paul his very life. Paul had brought Philemon to faith earlier. Since Philemon and Onesimus were now more than master/slave but Christian brothers Paul could count on Philemon treating Onesimus with respect.

            “Fresh beginnings come through confession, repentance, change, and right choices. Onesimus had proved himself in every respect, joining in ministry with Paul while in Rome. But the evidence of his transformation did not erase former obligations and relationships.”[3] Paul realized that Philemon had suffered loss as a result of his former slave running away, but Paul considers himself to be a partner with Philemon in the gospel, so he counts on Philemon’s response being a positive one. Paul would rather have kept Onesimus as his servant but felt an obligation to send him back with this letter explaining the situation.

            Finally, Paul asks that Philemon prepare a place for Paul to stay as he anticipated being released from prison and coming to visit him. As far as we can say that never happened.





[1] The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Phm 8–22.
[2] Knute Larson, I & II Thessalonians, I & II Timothy, Titus, Philemon, vol. 9, Holman New Testament Commentary (Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 2000), 404.
[3] Knute Larson, I & II Thessalonians, I & II Timothy, Titus, Philemon, vol. 9, Holman New Testament Commentary (Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 2000), 405.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter