What the Government Needs


Matthew 25:31-46

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ 45 Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”


Meditation


This scripture reading speaks to how the nations will be judged at the end of time. Those nations that feed, house, cloth, and heal will be dealt with better than those that do not do these things. One thing to note here is that governments are not mentioned only nations. A nation may have abysmal leadership but still perform life affirming action toward its citizens. The Greek word translated nation is ethne which refers to a group of people not a government. Therefore, it is up to us the people to act in life affirming ways not the government.

Governments will always fail us if we look to them for positive role models. The government is always about self-perpetuation and rarely if ever looks at the needs of the last, the least and the lost. Winning the next vote is constantly on their minds. It is up to "we the people" to behave in life giving ways toward those who live on the margins of society. Furthermore we need to act together to accomplish this. John F Kennedy got it right when he said, “ask not what your country can do for you but ask what you can do for your country”.

The government of my country, the USA, is not all that God desires it to be. But we the people can and must do the hard work of making this a better place for all to live. What our government needs most from its people is prayer. What the sick, homeless, naked, and prisoners need most from us is our hands to heal, welcome in the stranger, to cloth the naked, feed the hungry and visit those in prison. Pray often, seek to do good always.


Prayer 
Dear God help our leaders to guide our nations in the way they should go. Empower each of us to go to the needy and provide for their needs Teach us your way and strengthen our weak bodies so that we may be found in you on that great and glorious day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter