The Honest Faith of Job (Sermon)


Honest Faith

          I remember back in my high school days seeing people from my church youth group go off to college and come back after one or two semesters having completely rejected their faith. Their parents were beside themselves not knowing how to answer the questions their sons and daughters were raising. Whether their kids were questioning the sexual mores of their parents or the truth of the creation story. Their parents just could not understand why this was happening.

          Today we are going to use the book and life of Job as a paradigm of an honest faith. A faith that indeed seemed unshakeable. After all as we just read Job was a called a blameless and upright man who fears God and turns away from evil not once, not twice, but three times. And you may remember hearing that triple repetition of a saying means that the saying is the highest level of intensity in Hebrew. (Take Holy, Holy, Holy for example meaning God is the holiest of all beings.) How can we use the lessons of Job’s faith to keep our own faith strong? What can we learn from Job that might keep Our faith strong no matter how deeply it is tested.

          Let me state one thing up front. The only way to salvation is through faith in Jesus Christ. As Paul would say to the church at Corinth, “I resolved to know nothing among you save Christ and him crucified.” The first crises of faith is often that we don’t have our faith centered in Christ. If we don’t really trust Christ for our salvation then our faith will never get off the ground and we are defeated before we even begin. It is surprising to me how many Christians I meet whose faith is centered in the Bible, or a Saint or anything else but the person and work of Christ. Such a faith centered in any of these (otherwise good) things will fail when tested.

          Here is Job 13:1-28 “13 “Behold, my eye has seen all this,

My ear has heard and understood it.

                 What you know, I also know;

I am not inferior to you.

                 But I would speak to the Almighty,

and I desire to argue my case with God.

                 As for you, you whitewash with lies;

worthless physicians are you all.


          18       Behold, I have prepared my case;

I know that I shall be in the right.

          19       Who is there who will contend with me?

For then I would be silent and die.

          20       Only grant me two things,

then I will not hide myself from your face:

          21       withdraw your hand far from me,

and let not dread of you terrify me.

          22       Then call, and I will answer;

or let me speak, and you reply to me.

          23       How many are my iniquities and my sins?

Make me know my transgression and my sin.

          24       Why do you hide your face

and count me as your enemy?

          25       Will you frighten a driven leaf

and pursue dry chaff?

          26       For you write bitter things against me

and make me inherit the iniquities of my youth.

          27       You put my feet in the stocks

and watch all my paths;

you set a limit for the soles of my feet.

          28       Man wastes away like a rotten thing,

like a garment that is moth-eaten.

 

          In this passage Job lets his so called “friends” have it. They have been trying to tell him that the reason all of this calamity has come upon him is that he has secretly sinned against God and he must repent in order for his good fortune to be restored.

          It only takes a moment to find the error in that line of reasoning. Even if we didn’t know why Job was really suffering from reading chapters one and two we can see where their error lies. We have such people in the church today. We call their theology the prosperity gospel. They go around telling folk that if they have enough faith and eliminate all sin from their lives God will bless them.

          That whole theology gets blown up when you consider folk like Saint Theresa of Calcutta, the lives of all the martyrs down through the ages. And the suffering of the first Apostles and the ultimate sinless suffering of Jesus on the cross. Being right with God often causes downward mobility not upward. Having material possessions is not automatically a sign of God’s blessing and neither is poverty the sign of God’s displeasure with someone.

          Yet Job’s friends were certain that sin had to be the reason Job was suffering. Beware of certainty masquerading as faith. Simple logic tells us that if we are certain of something we are no longer acting on faith but have confidence in our own flesh. So it would seem that doubt has its place in the realm of faith. Faith is not credulity. It is not believing in something you know is not true. Neither is faith a substitute for knowledge. Christian faith operates in the realm of meaning, not in the realm of fact. Faith recognizes fact but it is not out to obtain, contradict, or prove facts. Saint Augustine knew this when he said, “I believe in order that I may understand.”

          Job understood this in chapter 19 he says” 23        “Oh that my words were written!

Oh that they were inscribed in a book!

          24       Oh that with an iron pen and lead

they were engraved in the rock forever!

          25       For I know that my Redeemer lives,

and at the last he will stand upon the earth.

          26       And after my skin has been thus destroyed,

yet in my flesh I shall see God,

          27       whom I shall see for myself,

and my eyes shall behold, and not another.

         

Job has faith that God will ultimately redeem him. Even though he hasn’t seen God. And Christ won’t come on the scene for thousands of years.

The second type of misplaced faith is what I call Christian magic. You see this quite a bit on the internet especially on Facebook. Someone will forward you some prayer and the note will say if you forward this to 10 of your friends God will answer your prayer or make you rich or famous or whatever. This type of faith says that our actions can force God to take some action. One thing we should know as Presbyterians is that God is sovereign. God cannot be put into a bottle like some genie and called forth to do our bidding. Job’s friends were treating God that way. If Job would just repent of his sin the right way then God would be obligated to restore Job.

Having faith in God is not magic, it is a relationship; trusting God that he will hold up his end of the bargain. Not because of anything we do, but because of who God is.

Job seemed to know that God was the kind of God that the Apostle John would write about in his Gospel some two or three thousand years later saying:

16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. 18 whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

 

          Our temptation is to make an idol of our faith. To believe in our beliefs rather than in our triune God. We as humans like certainty. Most of us would prefer that we would not have to make changes that are necessary as we grow older. But that doesn’t stop the changes from coming. In the same way our faith may have to make some changes along life’s way, but we can celebrate the changes and grow deeper in love with the savior who calls us to make those changes so that we may fall more and more in love with God and out of that love we would be propelled into action on behalf of our God!

          If true faith then is not based on performance, nor is it magic, nor is it absolute certainty about what life will have in store for us. Then what is an honest faith before God?

                    And the Lord said to Job:

                 “Shall a faultfinder contend with the Almighty?

He who argues with God, let him answer it.”

Then Job answered the Lord and said:

                 “Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer you?

I lay my hand on my mouth.

                 I have spoken once, and I will not answer;

twice, but I will proceed no further.”

Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind and said:

                 “Dress for action like a man;

I will question you, and you make it known to me.

                 Will you even put me in the wrong?

Will you condemn me that you may be in the right?

                 Have you an arm like God,

and can you thunder with a voice like his? . . .

Then Job answered the Lord and said:

                 “I know that you can do all things,

and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.

                 ‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’

                   Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,

things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.

                 ‘Hear, and I will speak;

I will question you, and you make it known to me.’

                 I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,

but now my eye sees you;

                 therefore I despise myself,

and repent in dust and ashes.”

 

          Here we see God rebuking Job for some of the statements he made about God. And Job turning and repenting of some of his beliefs about God. Because God was no longer an abstraction to Job. God was a certain fact. To be in the presence of God is a fearsome and awesome sight, no one walks away from it unchanged.

          But most of us will never encounter the living God this side of the grave, so how can we be sure that we have an honest faith before God. First we must be willing to wrestle with God. In both God’s word and in prayer we must be willing to be go to the mat to increase our understanding of God and his love.

          Second we must remember that it is ok to scream at the sky. Beseeching God is never a bad thing. Be persistent in your prayer and in your supplications. Remember there are no stupid prayer requests. Bring everything you have including your doubts to the God who loves you no matter what.

Third, remember your relationship with God is a covenant love. One that binds both parties. We tend to treat our relationship with God like a contract. Contracts are meant to protect the parties from each other. Covenants bind the parties together in mutual trust. We have a new covenant that Jesus instituted by his death and resurrection. We have the pledge of that new covenant in the form of the Holy Spirit which is a deposit from God of our future hope of resurrection.

Finally remember that your faith should be an embodied faith. One can know that one’s faith is real by the impact it makes on your life and on the life of others. Jesus’ life was embodied faith incarnate. While we will never reach that state of perfection we can imitate Christ and those we know who imitate Christ.

Let us pray: God help us to have an honest faith. One that abides with you. Help us to have a faith that is open and honest about our doubts and our fears, but never fails because it is a faith in the person of Jesus. Lead us forward in an honest and forthright relationship with you. Amen

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter