A Meditation on God Meditating on Me

Scripture: Psalm 139:13–16 (NRSV)
13 For it was you who formed my inward parts;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
that I know very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes beheld my unformed substance.
In your book were written
all the days that were formed for me,
when none of them as yet existed.

From: The Attentive Life by Leighton Ford
God is thinking of me right now even as I think of [God]

Meditation:
            The Psalm above has long been one of my personal favorites. I think Leighton Ford captures well my feelings as I read these words again. We are often so self focused when we read scripture or meditative material. I know I am. But just try to imagine that we are the objects of God’s meditation even before we were born.
            The thought of God meditating on us is a humbling and freeing thought. We know that our lives, our joys and even our worst problems have been the object of God’s meditation before they even happened to us. No wonder Paul can write in Romans 8 “all things work together for the good for those that love God and are called according to God’s purpose.” For truly God has written our lives in His journal. One can hardly imagine a God so in love with us. But God truly is.

            “God so loved the world that he gave his only son…” writes John in the third chapter of his gospel. Imagine the pain of a Father sending his only son knowing how that story ended before it even began. Relax you mind now and contemplate a God that knows us and loves us anyway. A God who loves us before time began. For God so loved you…..Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcoming the Unwelcome

Father Forgive Them

Transgenderism letter